Thursday, January 3, 2013

Slow Cooker Colcannon

So, I want to make it very clear that I'm not going to simply copy the recipes from my slow cooker cookbook. I tend to add things here and there to make each of my recipes unique. On that note, the first recipe I made out of this book is a Colcannon. This is a very Irish dish involving cabbage and potatoes. The cookbook suggests all gluten free recipes, and this one is also dairy-free, thanks to me! Also, I want to mention that this dish TASTES better than it LOOKS. Haha...

Ingredients:
-2 1/2 pounds potatoes (I used fingerlings, because they're so creamy and sweeter), if youre using russets, peel and chop them into large pieces. I left my fingerlings alone because they're small.
-1tsp salt
-6 tbsp earth balance butter substitute (or regular butter)
-3 cups chopped green cabbage (I also added raddichio and a little kale)
-1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or whole milk)
-3 green onions
-herbs and spices of your choosing to taste
-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar (or to taste) at the end


Directions:
-Cook potatoes in salted water for ten minutes, or until a fork can poke through them.
-Turn slow cooker on (low for 4-5 hours, or high for 2 1/2-3 hours).
-Add "butter" to slow cooker, then add in potatoes.
-Add in chopped greens.
-An hour before serving, add in almond milk and stir.
-Turn off slow cooker, use a masher or fork to squish the potatoes into the liquid.
-(I added a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar to give it some zing at the end, and you can add ham or bacon for a more savory addition.)


Cheers, foodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment